Required degree, documents, materials

The application is fully electronic.

* A BA degree in cinematography or photography, or a BA degree in general film studies with a specialisation/major in cinematography issued by a legitimate degree awarding body.

Viewfinder is aware that specific undergraduate qualifications in the area of Film and/or Cinematography may not have been accessible or available until recent times for many experienced and otherwise suitable candidates. Accordingly Viewfinder is prepared to consider significant professional experience subsequent to their undergraduate qualification. Viewfinder accepts applications from candidates that do not have a BA degree in cinematography or photography or general film studies with the required specialization/major but that have a BA degree in another field and that have  considerable and verifiable experience in the camera/lighting department with some credits as a DOP.

IMPORTANT: Viewfinder accepts only authorised, stamped or certified copies of your previous Bachelor degree(s) translated to English by a sworn translator.

Note on the required BA degree: we accept degrees which are equivalent with European Qualification Framework Level 6 (or higher). You can find out about your degree's eligibility on this website:

In the case of ongoing studies: an official school certificate in English stating that the applicant’s Bachelor Degree is due latest by 31 August 2019.

  • Depending on the country of origin of the awarded diploma or certificate, there are various methods of authorisation. A list of countries and methods can be found here: List of authorisation procedures by country
  • "Apostille seal" If you find the country of origin of your awarded diploma or certificate in column 1, click on the following link to find the competent office:
  • "Legalization" If you find the country of origin of your awarded diploma or certificate in column 2, find the competent Hungarian, Irish or Estonian embassy in your country to do the legalization of your document. (Legalization by one embassy is sufficient.)
  • "Certification" If you find the country of origin of your awarded diploma or certificate in column 3: a certified true copy issued in the country of origin of your document will be accepted.

Please note: Certified copies are copies of original documents that are certified with a stamp and signature to confirm that the copies are true to the originals. You can have documents certified by the educational institution that issued the original documents. Documents that are certified by notaries are not always accepted, so don’t rely on it.

* An English Language Certificate (non-native speakers of English only). Since the language of tuition is English students whose first language is not English must certify their English language skills (CEFR Level B2). Minimum requirement: IELTS Academic certificate - Composite score in the range 6.0 – 6.5 with not less than 6.0 in any one component or equivalent. Other acceptable certificates: TOEFL iBT 80 or CBT 215 or PBT 550, First Certificate in English (FCE) grade A. Only applicants who have completed their previous levels of education or their previous studies fully in English in the United States, Canada, the Commonwealth of Australia, New Zealand or the EU/EEA countries (attested proof from the previous educational institution required), will be exempted from submitting an international language test as a proof of their English proficiency.

*A film made by the applicant as a DoP. Maximum length 10 min in total. It can be any kind of film or video production, or parts of any kind of film or video productions shot and credited by the applicant. (Unlisted or public link on YouTube or similar. No password.)

* A scanned version of a valid passport and one digital photo. It is highly recommended that passport / ID have an expiration date of 31 August 2021 or later.

* A residence certificate issued within 12 months before the submission deadline of the applciation - after 3rd January 2018 -  in accordance with the candidate's municipality normal registration rules or, a certificate from the candidate's place of work, study or training issued by the employer or institution in question.

* A completed e-application form

CV, motivation letter and expectations must be typed in the application form. They are each limited to 1000 characters (including spaces).